Friday, June 20, 2008

Blast from the pasts and scanned memories

When I went up North to Mangonui I took a scanner with me to pick up some family photos from my mum.
In 1987 my daughter and her mum went to England as part of a prize from a competition Sue had won. The trip coincided with Madeline's grandma and grandpa visiting family in Liverpool. Maddy was 6 years old and had a surprise party given to her.
Once she had consumed all the goodies she went into hyper-state and hurtled around the semi-detached back yard like a antipodean Alice in Wonderland. Being the only little person amongst doting grandparents and aunts and uncles the excitement was almost too much. The final part of the Alice in Wonderland bit was when she caught a train to Mousehole in Cornwall saying farewell to her grandparents.








We then flicked back another generation to find a photo of myself at the age of twenty attending a show put on by the Tokoroa Operatic Society - The Belle of New York. It shows we were all young once. And then finally a picture of my mother having lunch in Kensington Gardens London with my older brother (who still is older somehow).
"Fill my cup what boots it to repeat,
How time is slipping beneath our feet,
Unborn tomorrow and dead yesterday,
Why fret about them,
If today be sweet."

4 comments:

Toolman said...

Tokoroa has an Operatic society?

A lovely 20-something photo, long hair and beard and all.

Mad looks pretty hyper chasing all those bubbles.

Mechanical Marksy said...

perhaps princess had too many lollies again?

Princess said...

I'm just sneaking a look at this at work. Nice post and photos. I think after my surprise party I fell asleep with my face in a plate of jelly and cream! I remember it all being very exciting :)

planetrosi said...

Hi there, what great photos... I was thinking that getting a scanner would be the thing to get all our family photos sorted, and was thinking of buying one when I got home....

so I have only just been using this blogsite for a short time, but now that you are on it, maybe I will visit some... and maybe I will post some photos... like when I get some more time... lots love, Rosi.